Re: Converting Oracle DBF to file format usable by MS ACESS - Please help!

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:25:44 -0500

jhbmak_at_yahoo.com (Joseph Mak) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have about 4 relatively small DBF files that were generated by
>Oracle 8. I tried importing them via the import engine on MS Access,
>but these files are obviously not DBASE format and I do not have ODBC
>access to the Oracle database.
>
>I downloaded the Standard Edition of Oracle, but I'm lost as to how to
>import the DBF files. Can anyone help walk me through it?
>
>Or are there any other tools that can convert these files into a
>format that would be useable?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Many thanks,
>Joe
>jhbmak_at_yahoo.com

If they are actually DBF files from an Oracle database, they are useless to you..

These are Oracle-specific data files ( that were part of 1 or more tablespaces) that can only be read/understood by the Oracle database that was using them...

There may be 3rd party tools out there that can use raw data files form Oracle, but I am not aware of any and to create one would require knowledge of Oracle's internal file structure ( which is not readily available outside of authorized Oracle sources- )