Re: Import!

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 19 May 2003 06:26:18 -0700

"H Johnsen" <volumehigheNOSPAMr_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<VMLxa.9794$X2.253_at_news2.bredband.com>...
> Hi!
>
> Im sorry if this message is posted twice, but I had some problems with my
> newsserver, and I have waited 24 hrs for my previous post to appear, so I'll
> take my chances! :D
>
> Im doing an import on AIX from a set of tapes exported on Oracle 7 into my
> Oracle 9i. This set of tapes were not made by me, but the parameterfile was
> sent to me along with the tapes. Seeing as I couldn't import the first set
> of tapes, they made two other sets of tapes, all with different parameters,
> but the same thing happens with all of these three sets.
>
> Parameters 1: BUFFER=4096 VOLSIZE=2000M
> Parameters 2: BUFFER=8192 VOLSIZE=2048M
> Paramteres 3: BUFFER=16384 VOLSIZE=4000M
>
> So, I do a full import with these same parameters. It created the
> tablespaces, and starts importing data into the tables it creates. At the
> end of tape #1, I am asked to mount the next volume, and it continues
> importing data happily for a while. Then, when it's about 75% into the 2nd
> tape (and I know this because they sent me their log and noted where they
> had changed tape) it stops and asks for the 3rd tape. Well, I changed tape
> and it just runs through the tape looking for the data it is expecting,
> but - naturally - does not find it.
>
> Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> H Johnsen

H, with version 7 on some platforms such as Sun Solaris there was a 2G file limit on exp, at least when the export was made to disk. The same limit could apply to tape. How big are the tapes and at what size do you appear to be hitting a problem? If it is at a 2G or 4G boundry then it could be a file size limitation on the exp.

If it appears file size may be the cause then since the source seems capable of reproducing the output ask for a full export with rows=n to let you create the db and objects and then have them make a series of tables= exports to get the data in managable chunks.

Also check the ulimit values for the user id running the imp tasks. If might be the user id in use can only handle files of a certain size.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon May 19 2003 - 15:26:18 CEST

Original text of this message