ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE on DB creation

From: Matt Darcy <matt_at_darcy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 18:12:32 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I am trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on HPUX11

All goes well until I get to the database creation section of the install, where I get a
ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE error

I have searched through metalink and found this article which is the same as my problem but on Solaris.

Problem Description

During a new installation of 8.1.7, while Oracle Database Configuration

Assistant was running, in the Initializing database stage, about 82% complete,

you receive the following error:

   ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE

Even running DBASSIST standalone after exiting the Installer, you still get the

same error at the same point.

Solution Description

Increase the value of the kernel parameters semmsl and semmns to

allow for an additional 150 processes.

Explanation

The Solaris installation guide says to use the following kernel parameters:

  set semsys:seminfo semmsl=100

  set semsys:seminfo semmns=200

The default database created by dbassist has a processes parameter of 150.

You can recalculate your semaphores to allow for 150 processes or if this

is the only instance the following /etc/system lines would be correct:

  set semsys:seminfo semmsl=160

  set semsys:seminfo semmns=310