Oracle without TNSNAMES.ORA

From: Henry Lafleur <henryl_at_bengaldevelopment.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2003 08:38:20 -0700

Is anyone using Oracle without using TNSNAMES.ora? In the Oracle documentation, it talks about using Host Name and DNS or HOSTS (%WINDIR%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts). We have been doing this for two years, but I can't find a post about anyone else doing this.

On a related note, we changed the domain, and now it only half works. Also, the new domain has three segments instead of two. We followed someone's instructions on UseNet on how to do this, but now BDE and ODBC cannot use the new server.location.domain.com address unless we create a TNSNAMES.ora file with that name in it, but every other method seems to work (TNSPING, SQL*PLUS, and OLE DB).

Thanks,

Henry. Received on Tue Apr 29 2003 - 17:38:20 CEST

Original text of this message