Re: Huge Memory leak in Pro*C

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 22 Apr 2003 00:47:44 -0700

lcrusader_at_yahoo.com (Oracle User) wrote in message news:<47cd09c.0304171623.4e81f4cd_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi there,
>
> I have a pro*c program that fetches data from table using host arrays.
> Everything seemed to work fine, until I tried to run the program on
> our production server. I followed 'top' command output and found that
> my program size was increasing in 1Mb chunks for every minute.
> Starting with 16mb, in fifteen minutes it had shot upto 90Mb.
> Ofcourse, I had to kill the process.
>
> I traced the memory leaks and found that they were coming from Oracle
> libraries. Every fetch statement alloc's memory which is not freed up.
> If I were to fetch millions of rows from a table, I could easily use
> up all the available memory. I am going to raise a bug in metalink,
> but just wanted to check if anyone else had seen this before. I am
> using 8170 version.
>
> Any information would be extremely helpful.
>
> Thanks

This is the normal behavior for almost all software. And of course there is something is working set limits and virtual memory. You were way too early to kill your process and 90M is definitely nothing. Also your 'bug' will be waived because you are not running on the latest patchset, which is 8.1.7.4.<x>, where <x> is platform dependent.

Regards
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Apr 22 2003 - 09:47:44 CEST

Original text of this message