Help in UTL_FILE

From: Sateesh Kumar <sateeshs_at_india.hp.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2003 21:31:14 -0700

Hi!

A small help needed.
Below is a reply in the newsgroup regarding the utl_file. In that you have told that the limit is 32k in oracle version 8.0.5 upwards. However am using oracle version
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.1 - Production PL/SQL Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
CORE 8.1.7.0.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Development NLSRTL Version 3.4.1.0.0 - Production

Still i can't write more than 1023 bytes in a single put statement. My requirement is that i need to generate an excel file with 25 columns and some 10000 rows.
I use plsql script to generate this excel as a csv file. So for getting 25 columns the size of each is nearly 1090 bytes. How do I write that to generate the excel or is there any better way.

thanks a lot for the help.

sateesh

"Piero" <p.dibello_at_reply.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having problems with pl/sql's utl_file package.
> I need to write a binary file, so I've used the put() function, but when I
> try to close the file I get an error...
> I know that the write buffer is limited to 1023 bytes (is it right?), so I
> tried to force writing to file with fflush(), but I got the same error
> during the file closing.... I can't image where is my mistake!
>
> Can you help me?
>
> Thanks
>
> Piero

utl_file cannot write a binary file.

utl_file, in versions before 8.0.5, cannot write stream of characters without putting out a newline at least every 1022 characters (eg: doesn't matter how often you flush, if you do not have a newline every 1022 bytes -- it'll fail)

in 8.0.5 and up, this limit is 32k.