Re: Utf8 Oracle

From: TC <donotuse_at_donotuse.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:24:50 GMT

I cannot possibly think of a reason why characterset of the database would matter apart from the fact that the data that needs to go in the database ***require*** Unicode encoding.

The characterset conversion should be done by the drivers so if unicode encoding is required by the application the driver should be able to covert the DB characterset to unicode and back.

That being said, if you size your columns properly providing for the multi-byte conversion in unicode (ascii128 thru ascii255), if not the best practice, using UTF8 i surely the most convenient practice.

//tc