Re: google db

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2003 13:59:48 -0800

Mark.Powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell) wrote in message news:<2687bb95.0303310706.354c49f9_at_posting.google.com>...
> chivalc_at_yahoo.com (chivalc) wrote in message news:<c3603719.0303280556.73673bc2_at_posting.google.com>...
> > hi everybody,
> >
> > how does google stores it huge database.. do u think they might be
> > using propriety database like oracle or is it something else?
>
> A couple of years back there was a write-up in (I think) PC Magazine
> or Infoweek that said Google used a thousand dedicated PCs running
> Linux, OS text files, and it's own index scheme. You might try
> searching the web sites for the article.
>
> HTH -- Mark --

And of course, the old stuff:

http://www-db.stanford.edu/~sergey/

There was a New York Times News Service article about their display, last Decemberish. Here's an excerpt from the copyrighted article as published in another paper:

In aggregate form, Google's data can make a stunning presentation. Next to Rae's cubicle is the GeoDisplay, a 40-inch screen that gives a three-dimensional geographical representation of where Google is being used around the globe.

The searches are represented by colored dots shooting into the atmosphere. The colors -- red, yellow, orange -- convey the impression of a globe whose major cities are on fire. The tallest flames are in New York, Tokyo and the San Francisco Bay Area.

Pinned up next to the GeoDisplay are two charts depicting Google usage in the United States throughout the day. For searches as a whole, there is a single peak at 5 p.m. For sex-related searches, there is a second peak at 11 p.m.

Each country has a distinctive usage pattern. Spain, France and Italy have a midday lull in Google searches, presumably reflecting leisurely lunches and relaxation.

In Japan, the peak usage is after midnight -- an indication that phone rates for dial-up modems drop at that time.

Google's worldwide scope means that the company can track ideas and phenomena as they hop from country to country.

Take Las Ketchup, a trio of singing sisters who became a sensation in Spain last spring with a gibberish song and accompanying knee-knocking dance similar to the Macarena.

Like a series of waves, Google searches for Las Ketchup undulated through Europe over the summer and fall, first peaking in Spain, then Italy, then Germany and France.

"The Ketchup Song (Hey Hah)" has already topped the charts in 18 countries. A ring tone is available for mobile phones. A parody of the song that mocks Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder for raising taxes has raced to the top of the charts in Germany.

In late summer, Google's logs show, Las Ketchup searches began a strong upward climb in the United States, Britain and the Netherlands.

Haven't heard of Las Ketchup? If not, Google predicts you soon will.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.