Re: Please help running DBCA

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:03:51 +0100

richie_at_richieut.com wrote:

>>I am having trouble getting the DBCA to run. I have installed Oracle 9i on Red Hat 8.0 successfully however during install and when run from the command line i keep getting this error
>>

> <snip>
>
>>Exception in thread "main" ./dbca: line 126:  3188 Killed                  $JRE_DIR/bin/jre -DORACLE_HOME=$OH -DJDBC_PROTOCOL=thin -mx64m -classpath $CLASSPATH oracle.sysman.assistants.dbca.Dbca $ARGUMENTS
>>

> Where does $JRE_DIR point to? Do you have Java installed?
> You should.
>
> In the dbca script $JRE_DIR is assigned to /home/richie/OraHome1/JRE but is never exported.
>
> That directory is a soft link to /home/richie/jre/1.1.8/
>
> oracle has in addition to version 1.1.8 installed version 1.3.1 for its own use.
> I also have the J2EE SDK 1.4 and J2SE 1.4.1 installed on the machine in /usr/java/
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

Hmmm... all I can think of is a strange quirk that does not allow the dbca to run from within the (first) install. You can create the scripts, but you should not allow dbca to create the database; make it a two step process. I have never done that, as I always want to see what "wizards" tend to come up with, so I haven't been in this situation.

A boot between install/config and final database creation does seem to help as well, although I find it a M$ type of 'solution'.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel