Re: system01.dbf corrupt, any chance of recovery?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 24 Mar 2003 00:54:56 -0800

tuxman380_at_yahoo.com (Atif) wrote in message news:<de0f683b.0303230149.54493432_at_posting.google.com>...
> We had Oracle 9.0.1 system running on Linux without a problem. And then a
> colleague accidentally overwrote part of the system datafile: system01.dbf.
> We back up all the data but somehow left that one out. Last good backup of
> that file is from a year ago. The archive logs dont go far enough to cover
> the loss. Oracle complains about inconsistent database when I try to open
> the database.
>
> SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
> alter database open resetlogs
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01113: file 1 needs media recovery
> ORA-01110: data file 1: '/usr/oracle/9.0/oradata/www/system01.dbf'
>
> Is there any hope of being able to recover the current data from other
> non-system tablespaces?
>
> Thanks a million.
>
> Atif.

Only if you can afford to pay $$ to Oracle to bring in a consultant with DUL (Data Unloader). But even if that case you still won't have proper object names.

A proper backup procedure also includes a weekly export.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Mar 24 2003 - 09:54:56 CET

Original text of this message