Re: CPU time and Elapsed time in tkprof

From: Sam To <slto_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Mar 2003 09:54:55 -0800

Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<3E78B447.6030806_at_netscape.net>...
> Sam To wrote:
> > I'm using 8.1.7.4 and I have the following SQL:
> > DELETE FROM MY_TAB WHERE id = :b1
> >
> > There is an Oracle Text index defined on MY_TAB, so when the above
> > executes it executes a bunch of recursive SQL.
> >
> > My question is if the tkprof report shows:
> > DELETE FROM MY_TAB WHERE id = :b1
> >
> > call count cpu elapsed disk query current
> > rows
> > ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
> > ----------
> > Parse 1 0.02 0.34 9 66 0
> > 0
> > Execute 4 522.76 619.75 249 30183 72098
> > 9993
> > Fetch 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0
> > 0
> > ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
> > ----------
> > total 5 522.78 620.09 258 30249 72098
> > 9993
> >
> > Does elapsed time and cpu time include the time taken for the
> > recursive sql? Or do I need to sum this with the elapsed time of each
> > of the recursive sql to get an accurate measurement of how long this
> > statement took? Is the behavior different in 8.1.7.4 vs 9.2 regarding
> > the measurement of how long a SQL took?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sam
>
> Not clear from what you posted - recursive sql is shown when the right
> switches are used - there should be an entry in the report showing
> recursive sql with timing.
>
> Apart from that, notice the four (4) executions.

The recursive sqls were indeed shown in the trace file. My question is, to get the total elapsed time of the original sql as the user would have observed (e.g. by waiting in front of a terminal), do I have to sum the elapsed time of the original sql and the recusrive sqls? Or does the elapsed time in the trace file for the original sql already include the elapsed time of the original sql?

How can I find which recursive sqls resulted from the original statement DELETE FROM MY_TAB WHERE id = :b1?

Thanks
Sam Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 18:54:55 CET

Original text of this message