Re: jobs

From: Robert Fazio <dbabob_at_hotmail.nospam.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 05:17:52 GMT

Donovan R. <mdonovan_at_hotmail.com> wrote in news:3qsa6vc6468j98hkp7abune7bqt04jgvdj_at_4ax.com:

> I beat you are not certified Ana. OCP is more than a paper. Here in
> Montreal the job post requirements for a DBA are university studies
> or/and certification. I didn't check by myself, I had a job before
> being OCP, but the certification make me a 20% salary rise. Will you
> thrown a 20% raise?

Well I am not certified, although I am considered certifiable by some of my associates. I do however have a BSEE, I have been a unix and Windows SA, I have developed code, but have never been a developer, I have been a Support Engineer (demonstrator and technical expert) for several CAD/CAM/CAE companies, and I even did sales for a while. I have worked as an Oracle DBA for over 5 years now, and I have increased my salary by 100% in the past 3 years. But one thing I don't have is a single certification.

> Anil said is looking for an entry level; I guess you will prefer a
> newbie without certification/any courses?

Actually yes! I recently brought on what we refer to as a Jr DBA (internal hire only). She had some very basic Oracle experience, she was the pc support person for our peoplesoft group. In less than a year, I consider her more knowledgible than most of our more experienced DBAs. It does of course depend, but what I find is much more important than being able to quote oracle internals and database theories, is an ability to see and follow a flow of data. Manuals are always available, and your ability to know what decisions you are capable of making, and also those you aren't is much more important to me than someone who doesn't know their limits. Those individuals that have their certification often don't know those limits. Making bad decisions are often a lot more devistating than making a phone call to someone who can help.

> Don't give up Anil, try to get in by searching a developer job first.
> In all cases a DBA must be a good developer.

Agreed, but I would actually suggest a position on a help desk instead. It's a tough job, but you will really learn a lot, and that type of position is often used to weed out those individuals that aren't able to handle the stress involved in a support type of role. Other options are with very small (less than 20) companies that can't afford experienced DBAs.

> On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:43:34 GMT, "Ana C. Dent"
> <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>aniljoshi72_at_hotmail.com (anil) wrote in
>>
>>> hi my name is anil. i live in seattle. currently i am obtaining my
>>> ocp. does anybody have some ideas or some names of companies that
>>> hire entry level DBA.
>>>
>>> thanks in advance
>>>

>>With only an OCP and NO previous Oracle related experience,
>>I would place your resume into the trash can.

I don't know about that, but I certainly wouldn't consider them for a DBA position. I might, but they would have to be really cheap, consider bringing them on as a consultant. It would take one amazing interview though.