Re: Control files

From: Robert Fazio <dbabob_at_hotmail.nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:23:28 GMT

"James" <james_at_nothing.com> wrote in

> Another question that I need help on.
> Are Control files server specific? Forexample if I have two identical
> servers with the only difference being the name of the Database can
> the one set of control files be used on the other server without
> multiplexing? cheers

I am not sure what you mean by multiplexing? What about the database? Control files are not static, they hold a significant amount of information about the database, and are only valid for the database that they are part of. Some of the information as mentioned else where is that they hold the current SCN (System Change Number). They also hold a log history, so that recovery is possible. Simply starting up the database and then shutting it back down will change that information.

If this is the same database (i.e. RAC or OPS) then they have to use the same control files, but if these are different sets of datafiles, and from the fact you said the database name is different, I have to assume this isn't what you are talking about then you can't use the same control files, even if it's on the same machine. Each database must have it's own control files.

The reasons for multiplexing the control files (init.ora entry) is because of how important this file is because if you loose your control file for any reason, the entire database can be lost if didn't backup the control file to trace after the last addition of a datafile to the database. Received on Fri Mar 14 2003 - 07:23:28 CET

Original text of this message