Re: Unable to start two instances of two separate databases

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2003 09:21:47 -0800

kirtanet_at_wessel.ie (Tejas) wrote in message news:<82818d51.0303140319.33617e1d_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have two databases created on Oracle 8.1.7 on HP UX 11.00 using
> dbassist.
> However, I am unable to start the two instances of the two separate
> databases.
> Both databases have the same $ORACLE_HOME.
> I am able to start only one instance. When I change my Oracle SID and
> use svrmgrl to start the other instance it gives me an error ORA -
> 03113 : end-of-file on communication.
> Can someone please help me resolve this problem.
> Thanks in advance.

I do not work on HP but check the init.ora for the two instances and make sure that the control_files, database, and service_names entries are set correctly to different values for each instance.

Also you message is not very clear on if one instance started and the other failed or if you can start either instance, but just not both at once. If this is true we once hit a problem (7.1 I think) in the way Oracle hashes the SID that prevented us from having two specific instances both running at once (though others worked). We got around it by changing the SID.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Mar 14 2003 - 18:21:47 CET

Original text of this message