Import Problems with Oracle 8i - please help..Backup/restore or export/ import ???

From: Subrahmanyam Arya <avsrk_at_mailcity.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 07:19:16 -0800

Dear Oracle gurus,

I have 2 database servers one running 8.1.7 Standard Edition and the second one 8.1.7 Enterprise edition.
 (Acutally the second one was Standard too and I upgraded to Enterprise by de-installing the SE software and installing new one.) I created a brand new databse on the Server running EE edition using dbassist
I exported the database from the Server running SE edition as sys/change_on_install and chose the option 1 Entire Database Now I tried importing this expdat.dmp file into the server running EE edition again as sys/change_on_install (Attempted to import the entire DB again )
These were the following options chosen when importing

Import file: expdat.dmp > expdat.dmp
Enter insert buffer size( minimum is 8192) 30720 > Export file created by EXPORT:V08.01.07 via conventional path import done in US7ASCII character set and US7ASCII NCHAR charatcer set List contents of import file only (yes/no): no > Ignore create error due to object existence (yes/no): no > Import grants (yes/no): yes >
Import table data( yes/no): yes >
Import entire export file ( yes/no): no > yes

I get tons of errors. I will just mention a few with the error codes

IMP-00015: following statement failed because the object already exists(lots of these)
IMP-00017:following statement failed with ORACLE error 1917 (lots of these)
IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1917 encountered

Observed that IMP-00003 always occured after IMP-00017

Importing views failed with compilation warnings and error code IMP-00015 What should I be doing now. Looks like it is tedious recitifying these errors

My goal is like this.

  1. Customers are running SE edition. We need to upgrade them to EE with out much hassles. So their scenario is little difft in the sense only machine is there and it needs to go from SE to EE with out data loss
  2. So what are the options we recommend for them.
  3. Export the database. De-install standard. Install EE and import it back ??? all on one and the same machine.
  4. What is the difference if they were to backup as opposed to export and later restore instead of importing. Which one should we recommend Export/Import or backup/Restore??? The customers any way need to go offline /shutdown the DB for upgrade
  5. Am I seeing these errors on my test bed becuase i am uisng 2 difft servers ?? Is it because i am exporting Dataabse from the server running Standard edition and becuase, i am importing the same database on a different machine after creating a brand new one ????

Your help will be greatly appreciated
-thx,
avsrk Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 16:19:16 CET

Original text of this message