Re: export and import problem

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 9 Mar 2003 11:01:59 -0800

harishksh_at_yahoo.com (harish) wrote in message news:<ff46df6e.0303080143.5a37898b_at_posting.google.com>...
> i have a table in my oracle 8i database, that has an attribute of LONG
> datatype.
> now i want to move few rows from this table to another table of
> another user. how to do this using export and import?
> since the table has long datatype, i can not use select statement,
> otherwise i would have inserted the desired rows of the table into
> another table using where clause.
> plesae give some solution.

Harish, what is wrong with useing exp and imp. With version 8.1 exp supports a where clause condition on the export that would allow you to export only the desired row or perform a series of exports to get a small set of rows.

If the contents of the long column is under 32K the you can use pl/sql to extract the data and re-insert it. A plsql varchar2 can be 32k in length so you select the logn column into the varchar2 and then insert the varchar2 variable into the second's table long column.

Otherwise your most flexible option is to resort to a Pro* language and imbedded SQL.

  • Mark D Powell --