Re: jobs

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 02:29:09 GMT

Donovan R. <mdonovan_at_hotmail.com> wrote in news:3qsa6vc6468j98hkp7abune7bqt04jgvdj_at_4ax.com:

> I beat you are not certified Ana. OCP is more than a paper. Here in

You would lose that "BET".
I have a BS in Computer Science, an MBA and between mid-November and New Year's in 2002, I passed all four tests for the DBA OCP. I did it because my boss "suggested" that it would be a Good Thing (TM). I consider it to have been a waste of time, because I learned next to nothing new that I could actually make use of on the job.

> Montreal the job post requirements for a DBA are university studies
> or/and certification. I didn't check by myself, I had a job before
> being OCP, but the certification make me a 20% salary rise. Will you
> thrown a 20% raise?

Congratulation on the raise.
The best I could do was to get the company to pay for the tests.

> Anil said is looking for an entry level; I guess you will prefer a
> newbie without certification/any courses?

I would not let a newbie, with or without, any certificate near a DB, while pretending to be a "qualified" DBA.

> Don't give up Anil, try to get in by searching a developer job first.
> In all cases a DBA must be a good developer.

I disagree because I never was a developer. I was the Unix SA when the DBA quit, so I got delegated the DBA duties because none of the developers were considered to be qualified enough (or they were smart enough to know they did not want the DBA job & the headaches that come with it). Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 03:29:09 CET

Original text of this message