Re: HELP: Recreating or copying tablespaces in Oracle 8.1.7?

From: ck <cgk1_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2003 18:38:26 -0800

Bob <bob_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3hga6vovrl4b6sb3t3ubrggii1vb665lik_at_4ax.com>...
> Dear Group:
>
> I am running Oracle 8.1.7 (non-enterprise) on Windows NT 4.0 SP5 and I
> am wondering if there are any automated batch commands or scripts in
> SQL that will allow me to copy existing tablespaces within the *same*
> global database. For example, we have 4 extents (Prod, Pilot, Demo and
> Test) and I want to make duplicate copies of "Prod" within the same
> RDBMS. Is there a way to automatically recreate a second copy of
> "Prod", with the related IDX and TEMP tablespaces (with all of the
> tables / data). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am a newbie
> at this.

First, don't let any manager tell you that it is a good idea to run three test/development schema's in the same database as your production database. Even if you were running on Unix, it would be a very very bad idea. Second, it's not a good idea to run multiple database's on the same server as your production database. Again, it's even a bad idea on Unix. Now, if you want to move to unix and clone your production database to a development server, I can automate that process for you with shell scripts over a weekend. Of course, we would have to work out the details. Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 03:38:26 CET

Original text of this message