Re: Can UTL_FILE access client side file system

From: Peter Shankey <oxmard.Rules_at_ab.ab>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:24:32 -0600

"Svend Jensen" <Svend_SPAMKILL__at_OracleCare.Com> wrote in message news:3E60B973.1040307_at_OracleCare.Com...
> Yes, if several conditions are met.
>
> In windoze 2K Server and oracle 8.1.7:
>
> The client drive must be a domain share on the db server.
> Utl_file parameter set accordingly, or '*' (security issue)
> The OracleServiceSID must log on as domain admin or user with similar
> privs. In service right click, log on as, restart.
>
> Other platforms; create more specific questions :-)
>
> /Svend Jensen

It seems to me Svend's idea would work fine in a small (<500) situation, assuming the db server is beefy. In a large situation, the network traffic to maintain the share and the memory required to maintain the share would make this a bad solution. Granted it take a small amount of traffic and memory to make a share, but it must add up at some point. Received on Mon Mar 03 2003 - 16:24:32 CET

Original text of this message