Re: Database and server sizing

From: Tim Cuthbertson <timNOcuthSPAM_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:31:20 -0600

Richard,

I see this question all the time, but storage management is in reality done with such broad strokes that it really doesn't matter.

Lets say you have 100 GB of raw data. You will want at least 100 GB of free space in your data tablespaces, probably more. Then, you will probably have 100 to 200 GB of indexes and, again, you will want at least 50% free space in your index tablespaces.

So, for your 100 GB of data you are looking at needing approximately 400 to 600 GB of total database storage. You also need system tablespace, redo log space, and temporary tablespace.

Scale my figures up or down as appropriate for your data volume, but there is absolutely no need to figure your storage requirements to any fine degree.

My two cents worth, take it as you see fit.

Tim Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 02:31:20 CET

Original text of this message