Re: Ignore Case

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2003 06:22:36 -0800

"Mike" <chunchma_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<XYednRfIpuFCgcGjXTWcoA_at_comcast.com>...
> I'm trying to get a selct to ignore case and thought the select below would
> return Joe or joe or any other combination that might be stored in the
> field, but isn't. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>
> SELECT *
> FROM CSADMIN.CLIENTS
> WHERE UPPER (CSADMIN.CLIENTS.NAME) LIKE UPPER ('%joe%')
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

Mike, I suspect you are getting a syntax error but since you do not provide any basic information on what version of Oracle you are using, what tool you are using, or post the actual query results here is my WAG: ver 8.1.7.4 from sqlplus
UT1> select *
  2 from marktest
  3 where upper(mpowel01.marktest.fld4) like upper('two')   4 /
where upper(mpowel01.marktest.fld4) like upper('two')

                              *

ERROR at line 3:
ORA-00904: invalid column name

UT1> c /mpowel01.//
  3* where upper(marktest.fld4) like upper('two') UT1> /

no rows selected

Remove the owner from the where clause as this is not legal Oracle syntax though it might be legal for some tool sets, but without more information I do not see how anyone is going to be able to help.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 15:22:36 CET

Original text of this message