Re: Oracle Backup

From: LoneDBA <anonyme667_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2003 19:26:20 -0800

"noreply" <nojunkmail_at_mailerver.com> wrote in message news:<4l01a.28350$tq4.2325_at_sccrnsc01>...
> Okay, it's 12AM, and I need help.
>
> I'm extremely new to Oracle, and to make a long story short, I need to get
> Arcserve to backup my 2 oracle instances.
>
> Oracle is version 8.1.7, running on Windows 2000 Adv. Server, 1Ghz Xeon, 4GB
> ram. ArcServe 2000, with Oracle Backup Agent.
>
> So: We had 1 instance running on this server (SID1). We then got ArcServe
> installed, configured the backup agent to use the internal account, and
> enabled RMAN support. It worked, and full backups of the drives, registry,
> and SID1 happened every night.
>
> Well, along comes another application needing Oracle server space. I fought
> it, but was told that it was going on SID1's box. Fine. I knew bad things
> would happen but FINE.
>
> From what I read at that time, in order to get ArcServe to recognize the new
> instance (SID2), we needed to re-run setup for the Oracle Backup Agent.
> Can-do. Right off the bat, the first night, the backup failed. Night 2, same
> thing. Error:
>
> 1 E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=dbaora7_at_SID1, EC=Backup Agent
> Error -- (85) "Invalid user ID or password was submitted.".)
> 1 E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=dbaora7_at_SID2, EC=Backup Agent
> Error -- (85) "Invalid user ID or password was submitted.".)
>
> ?!? WTF? I know I typed the passwords right. So anyway - I emailed eSupport,
> installed SP3 & 4 for ArcServe, uninstalled/reinstalled 80 times and still
> nothing works.
>
> I can still login to both instances with the internal account, and I have
> properly set the passwords for the machine, Arcserve, and Oracle.
>
> Any thoghts? Has anyone seen this before? Or should I just freaking learn
> RMAN and backup its' files?
>
> =T

I just wen through the whole process....Here is what we found out. 1. If you want to use RMAN, you need arcserve 9 ( the latest one ) +

   a series of patches from CA ( for ISAPI.DLL,orasbt.dll and the    RMANCFG.EXE) , no patches, it won't work....    Some of the 'secret sauce' involves setting a registry 'debug' value    from 0 to 4 to see if this stuff works.    Again, please get the patches from CA.... we blew several days trying    to figure out what was wrong

2. To tell if you are using RMAN:

   You should be able to see reports in the RMAN catalog database ( which    you should use anyway )

3. What this will look like

   If you are 'pulling' from the arcserve console to backup your database,    you are not going through RMAN
   If you are 'pushing' from the target database, you are using RMAN    BTW: Backup through RMAN is much faster than through straight ARCSERVE

4. The flow if you want to use RMAN

  1. Create your catalog database
  2. Create a user to run the backups ( I call him RMANSYSTEM ), default tablespace tools , etc...grant DBA and the recovery_catalog_owner privs
  3. create the same user in the target database
  4. invoke RMAN and connect to the catalog database, create the catalog
  5. invoke RMAN and connect to the target and the catalog register the target database
  6. At the PC level, on the target ( the machine you want to backup )
  7. in the database configuration screen for arcserve ( not the RMAN one ) enter the SID name , the RMAN database user name ( ex: RMANSYSTEM ) the password and the name and password of the NT user you will login in as....
  8. in the RMAN configuration, you need to enter 3 things
  9. the machine and user/password combination for where the arcserve server resides
  10. the local NT user that will doing the backup ( should be the same as what you put in before )
  11. the group and tape device information ( start with * and * )
  12. restart the universal agent and the RPC server services
  13. login into RMAN at the target and connect into the catalog as well run a command along those lines run { allocate channel ch1 type 'SBT_TAPE'; backup database tag='test' ; }
  14. exit RMAN

 if everything worked and you had your debug values set , you should have an orasbt.log in the oracle agent location on the target.

Cheers
Bernard Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 04:26:20 CET

Original text of this message