Re: pl/sql newbie

From: Karl <karl_72_at_msn.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2003 11:25:35 -0800

rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com (Rauf Sarwar) wrote in message news:<92eeeff0.0302211659.248d9737_at_posting.google.com>...
> karl_72_at_msn.com (Karl) wrote in message news:<93c10f45.0302210731.43cc0541@posting.google.com>...
> > Thanks in advance for your help. We have a pre-existing table that we
> > just added a column to for a length of varchar6 and at the moment we
> > filled with all o's. However I need to write a script that inserts a
> > different value into those columns and it has to be the same value as
> > a corresponding column in the same table. The one thing that makes
> > this script difficult is that any new inserts into that table allowed
> > new values (other than 0's) to be added. So i need to leave any value
> > that is not equal to all 0's in this one column. I know that i need
> > to do something like...if adjustment group is = to '000000' then do my
> > insert and if not then ignore but i'm not sure of the exact sequence.
> > thanks again.
> > Karl
>

> You mean "UPDATE" and not "INSERT". "INSERT" means a completely new
> row. "UPDATE" means changing existing value. In any case, see answer
> to your original post.
>
> Regards
> /Rauf Sarwar

Oh i wanted to answer why we were doing it that way. I was going to post that info but it was unecessary. Basically anything in the database before this update statement has to be equal to that column that I was talking about. Anything after that update our product would put appropriate values into. Received on Tue Feb 25 2003 - 20:25:35 CET

Original text of this message