Re: Migration from sqlserver to oracle 8i: character set conversionproblems

From: Bas Steelooper <news_at_-NOSPAM-steelooper.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:50:48 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:a20d28ee.0302190759.61a33af_at_posting.google.com... Irmen de Jong <irmen_at_-NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:<3e535db7$0$49102$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>...
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > Next time, if you already think you know better, please DON'T POST and
> > see for yourself
>
> If you don't want to help, then shut up.
>

> Irmen de Jong

Hear, hear, I gues you are the 'expert'
Evidently you don't know a damn about it. The euro is NOT (I repeat NOT) a UNICODE character, but you INSIST on playing around with Unicode, and ignoring the advice of people WHO DO KNOW!!!

Maar aangezien je het zelf allemaal zoveel beter weet, waarom rot je toch niet gewoon op?
Veel succes met prutsen!!!

Geen groeten,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

I can't help reacting to a comment like this.

As Senior DBA you must now that there are cases that you DON'T want a character set
in your Databasse.
for instance when you work at an international compony which works in Europe, Middle East and Asia.
You need to design 3 different Databases for each Character set.

If you design an UNICODE database, everything can be stored in it. So even Chinese and Japanese Characters.

But maybe I'm now insulting someone WHO DOES KNOW. But in my opinion you don't understand where this problem is about.

Another example is when your business is financial and you have a lot of foreign customers. You want to store your brochures in a database, 1 table for the data (Different languages, different Character Sets) 1 table for the layout (For instance an XSL with the places of the images for creating PDF format documents,

                                   for printing, language independent,
characterset independent)
1 table for the images (Obvious pictures are language independent, so also characterset independent)

As how you explain it you would create a different Database for each language, which your program has to connect with. If I would design this, I create 1 DB, 3 Tables, and in the data table create an extra field with Character Set ID for use in my program.

But who am I,

Bas Steelooper

Software Developer / Designer Received on Thu Feb 20 2003 - 08:50:48 CET

Original text of this message