Re: Anybody know a way to load spreadsheets via a forms interface?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2003 15:49:06 -0800

sldcrew2k_at_yahoo.com (steve deno) wrote in message news:<8e6b14d8.0302181046.404ed6d7_at_posting.google.com>...
> My company will be having partner data delivered to us in spreadsheet
> form and was hoping to figure out a way to let users load it into the
> database using some sort of wizard. SQLServer has something like this
> in it's data transformation Services interface. It's easy for users.
> Maybe you have tried something like this before?
>
> Thanks for any ideas you may have

Never tried it, but http://5star.freeserve.com/Business/MS-OfficeAdd-Ins/oraxcel-download.html might be interesting.

Personally I would just export to comma delimited file and use sqlldr in a script.

From Oracle corp:

"If you have an 8.1.6 or 8.1.7 database with the Hetreogeneous Services, then through Hetreogeneous Services (HS) you can set up an excel spreadsheet as a folder in Discoverer.You can then query on this Excel folder and perform joins, etc. to other excel spreadsheets or Oracle tables. See your database documentation for setting up the Hetreogeneous Services. "

But that wouldn't exactly be easy for users.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry/oraclech.htm