ADABAS to Oracle conversion

From: flyershistory <flyershistory_at_hockeymail.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2003 07:09:09 -0800

We're in the early stages of attempting a conversion from ADABAS to Oracle.

All of our database access in our programs is through a standard set of interface routines. Our idea was to simply translate these interface routines into oracle access ones.

In the database read routines for example we would have:

STATUS = ADA_READSORT( tablename,

                       record structure that stores the data,
                       descriptor name,
                       starting value of descriptor,
                       ending value of descriptor)

For the first read, all values would be populated. If the starting and ending values of the descriptors are not populated, you want to get the equivalent of the next record in the cursor.

Now the problem I can forsee is with the cursors. From reading usenet archives it seems anytime someone tries to put the opening and fetching of cursors into subroutines, it seems like they have problems. If I convert the "ADA_READSORT" to the equivalent oracle function, all the cursor declarations, opens and fetches would be within this subroutine (or in further subroutines that it would use). Is it possible to do this ? If I call "ADA_READSORT" the second time after the initial read (when I'm trying to get the second record in the record-set), would the fetch cursor work simply from using the same cursor name as the initial read ?

Thanks in Advance,
Peter Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 16:09:09 CET

Original text of this message