Re: Beginner Connection problem (simple maybe?)

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:16:38 +0100

Andy wrote:
> I have two connection issues which may be related (I don't know!)
>
> On (windows2000) The server
> a) I can log onto the server as the administrator and connect to the
> Oracle 9i DB using the system login
> b) If I log onto the server as anyone else (e.g. Domain administrator)
> I cannot log on to sqlplus or create a dsn (using the system login),
> due to the following error
> Unable to connect
> SQLState=08501
> ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
>
> From a client
> (Windows NT4, Oracle Client drivers 9.02.00.00)
> If I attempt to create a DSN (using system login) to connect to the
> Oracle server, I get the following
> Unable to connect
> SQL State=S1000
> Ora-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not
> exist
>
> Does anybody have any ideas?
> This is a default 9i installation, and I was not aware of any
> installation errors when i installed it.
>

> Many thanks in advance, Andy Smith

The domain admin is *not* a local user, and does not have the correct privileges to control Oracle. Check out the differences in path, (local) groups, etc.
And I think it's correct that way - network admins have no business controlling Oracle.

A DSN requires a valid SQL*Net configuration - yours isn't (well, that's an open door...). Your tnsnames.ora file has an invalid host name in the ADRESS=(..(HOST=...)) section. Follow standard procedure:
- can you ping the host name, mentioned in tnsnames.ora? - can you tnsping the alias used?

Post tnsnames of the client and listener.ora of the server.

Only responded to c.d.o.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel