Re: How to do system copy by export/import of a SAP database

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Feb 2003 19:13:29 -0800

belindacur_at_yahoo.com (Belinda) wrote in message news:<41af5e48.0302112210.14f59cc2_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All
>
> I want to do make a copy of our development SAP system running on
> Oracle 817 called DEV to another system called TST. I want to use the
> Oracle
> export and import utility to create a full dump of DEV and import this
> to TST.
>
> I cannot use a backup and restore of DEV to TST since the space on TST
> is smaller than DEV. But there is lot of unused space in DEV. TST
> already as a
> oracle database I have shut the oracle instance on TST and deleted all
> the data files, redo log files and control files. How can I now import
> the dump from DEV to TST can I make Oracle to create the
> instance/database on TST and then import the contents of DEV into TST.
> Please provide me some advice on this. If possible if you have some
> scripts for the same.

Please provide more info.

1) Are you going from 817 to 817 or downgrading/upgrading?
2) Are platforms identical (vendor/version) for both DEV and TST?
3) Size of DEV?

To do export/import, you can create a full dump of DEV... Create TST using same tablespace names as DEV. You can also resize TST datafiles and storage parameters at this time (Can use autoextend on) and then do full import. For help on export/import switches, just use export/import help=y or look up your Oracle docs.

If you are going between identical Oracle and OS versions, then you can just copy DEV datafiles to TST and recreate your controlfiles. Make sure to backup DEV controlfile to trace before copy. With this option, you won't be able to resize your datafiles.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 04:13:29 CET

Original text of this message