Oracle Backup

From: noreply <nojunkmail_at_mailerver.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 05:12:32 GMT

Okay, it's 12AM, and I need help.

I'm extremely new to Oracle, and to make a long story short, I need to get Arcserve to backup my 2 oracle instances.

Oracle is version 8.1.7, running on Windows 2000 Adv. Server, 1Ghz Xeon, 4GB ram. ArcServe 2000, with Oracle Backup Agent.

So: We had 1 instance running on this server (SID1). We then got ArcServe installed, configured the backup agent to use the internal account, and enabled RMAN support. It worked, and full backups of the drives, registry, and SID1 happened every night.

Well, along comes another application needing Oracle server space. I fought it, but was told that it was going on SID1's box. Fine. I knew bad things would happen but FINE.

From what I read at that time, in order to get ArcServe to recognize the new instance (SID2), we needed to re-run setup for the Oracle Backup Agent. Can-do. Right off the bat, the first night, the backup failed. Night 2, same thing. Error:

1 E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=dbaora7_at_SID1, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (85) "Invalid user ID or password was submitted.".) 1 E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=dbaora7_at_SID2, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (85) "Invalid user ID or password was submitted.".)

?!? WTF? I know I typed the passwords right. So anyway - I emailed eSupport, installed SP3 & 4 for ArcServe, uninstalled/reinstalled 80 times and still nothing works.

I can still login to both instances with the internal account, and I have properly set the passwords for the machine, Arcserve, and Oracle.

Any thoghts? Has anyone seen this before? Or should I just freaking learn RMAN and backup its' files?

=T Received on Sat Feb 08 2003 - 06:12:32 CET

Original text of this message