Re: Multiple triggers on the same table

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 6 Feb 2003 06:26:47 -0800

Siotos Evaggelos <sevag_at_eurodyn.com> wrote in message news:<3E424D06.6F423E_at_eurodyn.com>...
> "P. van der Ven" wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just did some tests to find out which trigger will be executed
> > first. There is only one conclusion: you can not forecast which
> > trigger will be executed first.
> >
> > Btw: why would you have two triggers triggering the same action on the
> > same table?
> >

> Well, I am adding some more features in an already existing database
> (customised incremental import/export) and I don't know if triggers for
> each table exist or not. So basically, the triggers I add should not, at
> any case, affect the underlying triggers and their functionality.
>
> Any links/documentation available?
>
> Thanx
>
> Vangelis

Of course: the Oracle Application Developers Manual states that Oracle doesn't guarantee the sequence of triggers. Your statement about not knowing whether triggers exist is void: you can easily look that up in user_|all_|dba_triggers.

In summary: you can safely FORGET that adding extra triggers won't affect existing triggers and you will be FORCED to merge them.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Feb 06 2003 - 15:26:47 CET

Original text of this message