Re: Intel vs Sparc

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2003 15:51:42 -0800

Harvey <harveyb999_at_beliveau.cc> wrote in message news:<3E3FF65C.9793F46C_at_beliveau.cc>...

> "P.M. Groen" wrote:

> > DA Morgan wrote:
> >
> > -----------------*<---------------------------------------------------
> >
> > > Suffice it to
> > > say that Intel means Windows and Windows is more vulnerable to viruses,
> > > cracking, and stability problems as well as almost always equating with
> > > increased down-time.
> > >
> > > Daniel Morgan
> >
> > BullSH*T!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Intel also means Linux. And in case you haven't noticed. Oracle runs
> > perfectly on SuSE 7.x and higher, RedHat 7.2 and Higher and probably more
> > distro's. So if you want to save money, want stability and security, go for
> > Linux on Intel and install ORACLE on it.
> > --
> > P.M. Groen
> > _______________________________
> > Does Killin' Time Affect The Future?
> > I Think It Will, In The End
>
> Welll.... let me clarify a bit.  I am adding a server to an environment
> and the proposed box is a Sun V880.  It's not a matter of replacing an
> existing OS with another, that box will be upgraded in the process of
> moving into a test server capacity while the new box moves into the
> production role.  I'm looking for some 'quick and dirty' points to make,
> i.e., improved I/O performance, stability, etc.
>
> Linux isn't on the radar screen at the moment - it will be in the
> future, but for now it isn't a candidate OS for us for a heavy
> production environment.
>
> Thanks Folks!
>
> Harv

Simply put, it all depends on your business requirement/rules and cash that you can spare for an enterprise server. There isn't a "quick and dirty" way to get to this decision. As you are probably well aware that first layer in running a robust RDBMS is the hardware/network. If you don't do it right, you are hosed but then again you do not really want to go over board which may piss off those pinhead bean counters on the upper floors.

You would have to come up with few answers before making this decision, like what level of data security, size of database, Number of users, future business growth, type of environment (OLTP, DSS etc), number of instances, uptime/availability etc. Depending on that, then you can decide what suits best in your env. Unix servers have always been robust but pricy, Windoze 2K servers have also come a long way. They may not be as robust but cheap and easy to maintain. Throw Linux on Intel in the mix and you have plenty to choose from.

Or if you want to bypass all I mentioned above... but still have plenty of cash available... just go for the biggest bad boy Unix server on the block. -:)

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 00:51:42 CET

Original text of this message