Re: Migrating to 9iAS from Developer/2000

From: JustAnotherDBA <jadba_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:32:30 -0600

I went thru several tries of installing/upgrading from Oracle Application Server 4.0.7 to Oracle9iAS .

I first installed Release 1 and then decided to wait for release 2 . I had some problems, mainly with installing Portal and security of Plsql Dad configurations.

I then installed Release 2 and had a lot more problems. This version requires an "Infrastructure" database JUST for iAS Release 2. This requirement is not needed if you do not want Portal or Forms Server. At that time, I wanted both of those.

I then installed Release 3 (9.0.3) without Forms Server and without Portal. No problems. This version is sometimes called Release 3 and Release 2, but the version number is 9.0.3 .

Release 9.0.3 could not be used with Forms Server or Portal (those options were not available). It was apparently a mini-release ? I don't know.

Anyway, I would wait (if possible) for a release higher than 9.0.2 (Release 2) and give it a try. They do seem to be getting it better with each new release. If not, I would use Release 1 .

Some things to consider in your switch from client/server to 3-tier for Forms:

  1. Jinitiator 1.3.x.x (cannot remember version and it changes with every release) is required on the client for R2 (9.0.2). This was actually a big deal for our locked down PC world. An older version is also required for Release 1.
  2. You still compile your forms and have to save them to a place where the mid-tier web/application server can get to it.
  3. Future versions of Forms will ONLY work in a 3-tier environment.

  -