Re: Migrating to 9iAS from Developer/2000

From: JustAnotherDBA <jadba_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:42:28 -0600

I agree.

I just realized my comments included the comment "they seem to be getting it better with each release". This would be true for 9.0.3 , and NOT true for Release 2 (9.0.2) .

Also, I didn't mention it earlier, but not only did Release 2 require an "infrastructure database" which was a change from Release 1 (at least for running Forms Server). But, 9.0.2 also had a BUNCH of patches that were required before using .

This product (at least with Oracle9iAS Release 2 9.0.2) makes Oracle look bad . It's too bad they cannot seem to get this down as well as they do a database.

"Ban Spam" <ban-spam_at_operamail.com> wrote in message news:Xns9317BCFE82848SunnySD_at_68.6.19.6...
> "JustAnotherDBA" <jadba_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in
>
> > I went thru several tries of installing/upgrading from Oracle
> > Application Server 4.0.7 to Oracle9iAS .
> >
> > I first installed Release 1 and then decided to wait for release 2 . I
> > had some problems, mainly with installing Portal and security of Plsql
> > Dad configurations.
> >
> > I then installed Release 2 and had a lot more problems. This version
> > requires an "Infrastructure" database JUST for iAS Release 2. This
> > requirement is not needed if you do not want Portal or Forms Server.
> > At that time, I wanted both of those.
> >
> > I then installed Release 3 (9.0.3) without Forms Server and without
> > Portal. No problems. This version is sometimes called Release 3 and
> > Release 2, but the version number is 9.0.3 .
> >
> > Release 9.0.3 could not be used with Forms Server or Portal (those
> > options were not available). It was apparently a mini-release ? I
> > don't know.
> >
> > Anyway, I would wait (if possible) for a release higher than 9.0.2
> > (Release 2) and give it a try. They do seem to be getting it better
> > with each new release. If not, I would use Release 1 .
> >
> > Some things to consider in your switch from client/server to 3-tier
> > for Forms:
> >
> > 1) Jinitiator 1.3.x.x (cannot remember version and it changes with
> > every release) is required on the client for R2 (9.0.2). This was
> > actually a big deal for
> > our locked down PC world. An older version is also required for
> > Release 1.
> >
> > 2) You still compile your forms and have to save them to a place where
> > the mid-tier web/application server can get to it.
> >
> > 3) Future versions of Forms will ONLY work in a 3-tier environment.
> >

> > -
> > "Matija Mintas" <MAKNI_matija.mintas_at_fsb.hr> wrote in message
> >> Hello...
> >>
> >> We have an application built in Developer/2000 (with 9i database),
> >> and
 have