Re: Help! I am totally lost

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 04:41:43 GMT

Best to use the same version or near as possible. But if you stick to the basics it should not make a lot of difference. Oracle is very upwardly compatible.
Jim
"Ragnar Midtskogen" <ragnarm_at_optonline.net> wrote in message news:iz2Z9.400563$FT6.78083421_at_news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> Thank you Jim, I really appreciate your advice. I will give it a try. To
> start with I will get rid of the Personal Edition and get the Standard.
 BTW,
> does it make any difference which version I get? Since the database will
 run
> on the client's server, do I need to get the same version they are
 running,
> or can the database be moved to a different version of Oracle?
>
> > I think the main problem is you are coming from a background of a file
 based
> > system (Access) to a commercial quality RDBMS. There are so many basics
 in
> > general that you need that this NG can't possibly address it.
>
> You may have a point there, although I realize Oracle is a server type of
> application.
>

> > You will hit these same lack of basics with SQLServer.
>
> As I mentioned I have not had any real problem with SQL Server. I have
 used
> it's GUI tools to create stored procs for example.
>
> >You can use Oracle's migration
> > workbench to mograte from Access to Oracle. The documentation is quite
> > good. It has very detailed explanations - which could be daunting.
>
> I hope the migration workbench will save the day.
>
> > Also if you are a GUI person you can use OEM (Oracle Enterprise
> > Manager) to "get to a console and create tables etc." - although the
> > migration workbench will also do that.)
>
> Hopefully when I install the standard version and write down the userids
 and
> passwords I will be able to use the console.
>
> BTW, I figured out why I was not allowed to delete the personal edition,
> Oracle was running and was using the file I got a message about. When I
 stop
> the Oracle processes I should be able to delete the whole tree.
>
> Finally, uninstalling Oracle just means deleting all the files which are
 in
> the Oracle file tree, correct? As far as I can tell there are no entries
 in
> the Registry used by Oracle, which means there are no shared dll files in
> the Windows System directory.
>
> Again, I appreciate your help, maybe I can pull this off after all
>
> Ragnar
>
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> > I think the main problem is you are coming from a background of a file
 based
> > system (Access) to a commercial quality RDBMS. There are so many basics
 in
> > general that you need that this NG can't possibly address it. You will
 hit
> > these same lack of basics with SQLServer. You can use Oracle's
 migration
> > workbench to mograte from Access to Oracle. The documentation is quite
> > good. It has very detailed explanations - which could be daunting.
 Here
 is

 http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/toc.htm

 http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/toc.htm

 http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96519/toc.htm
> > (Oracle Press has some excellent books - Backup and Recovery also)
> >
> > If you are windows centric:
> > http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a95490/toc.htm
> > for those who use MS Access:
> > http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a97247/toc.htm
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > "Ragnar Midtskogen" <ragnarm_at_optonline.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks to all,
> > >
> > > At least it is comforting to know that it is not just me, it IS
 difficult.
> > > But I am wondering if a big part of the problem isn't documentation
 that
> > > does not explain the basics. I can also understand that it would
 require
> > > training to get the best performance.
> > >
> > > My boss isn't going to like this, we were supposed to be done in 3 to
 4
> > > weeks.
> > >
> > > I would buy any number of books, if I knew which ones were good. Got
 any
> > > recommendations?
> > >
> > > To give you some background, the main impetus for going to a different
 setup
> > > was that when I converted the application to Access 2000 we ran into
> > > corruption problems on the first day, and we were not able to fix
 whatever
> > > was wrong. The client, (New York State, Empire Plaza) is using a
 Samba
> > > network run by some Unix servers at their data center. We had problems
> > > initially with the 97 version, but they upgraded some networking
 hardware
> > > and fixed the problem.
> > >
> > > We proposed moving the back-end to SQL Server, but they balked,
 stating
 that
> > > they had one SQL Server and would prefer not to add more databases to
 it.

> > > I think I am going to try to talk the client's IT center to reconsider
 SQL
> > > Server. I'm no SQL Server expert, but I can at least open the console.
 can
> > > also create tables and stored procs. The differences in SQL dialects
 between
> > > Access and SQL Server is well documented. In short, I know pretty much
 all
> > > need to know to do the job. If I get stuck we have people that could
 help
 me
> > > out.
> > >
> > > Ragnar
> > >
> > > "Brian E Dick" <bdick_at_cox.net> wrote in message
 buy
 Oracle

 alone.
 You