Re: Help! I am totally lost

From: Ragnar Midtskogen <ragnarm_at_optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:55:36 GMT

Thanks to all,

At least it is comforting to know that it is not just me, it IS difficult. But I am wondering if a big part of the problem isn't documentation that does not explain the basics. I can also understand that it would require training to get the best performance.

My boss isn't going to like this, we were supposed to be done in 3 to 4 weeks.

I would buy any number of books, if I knew which ones were good. Got any recommendations?

To give you some background, the main impetus for going to a different setup was that when I converted the application to Access 2000 we ran into corruption problems on the first day, and we were not able to fix whatever was wrong. The client, (New York State, Empire Plaza) is using a Samba network run by some Unix servers at their data center. We had problems initially with the 97 version, but they upgraded some networking hardware and fixed the problem.

We proposed moving the back-end to SQL Server, but they balked, stating that they had one SQL Server and would prefer not to add more databases to it.

I think I am going to try to talk the client's IT center to reconsider SQL Server. I'm no SQL Server expert, but I can at least open the console. I can also create tables and stored procs. The differences in SQL dialects between Access and SQL Server is well documented. In short, I know pretty much all I need to know to do the job. If I get stuck we have people that could help me out.

Ragnar