Help! I am totally lost

From: Ragnar Midtskogen <ragnarm_at_optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 01:00:12 GMT

Hello,

I have an Access 2000 multuser application with several clients with linked tables in an Access 2000 back-end file. Now I need to move the data to an Oracle back-end.

The Oracle back-end will reside on a server at our client's data center, but I need to develop it at our office.

To start with, I don't know anything about Oracle, except that it is a database system somewhat similar to SQL Server.

I just downloaded and installed Personal Edition 9i on my Windows 2000 Pro machine. I think it asked for some domain, so I just entered something ot get going. I also let it set up a sample database. I can open the system manager console in standalone mode, and I can see the database on the tree. However, when I try to expand the db object I get a login dialog and no matter what I enter I get a timeout message. I am not sure I remember the userid, so it looks like I am stuck.

I have tried using the Add button to create a new one, a dialog comes up but the create button is disabled. There are 4 Oracle services running, MTSRecoveryService, HTTPServer, TNSListener, and the database. Is there some other service I have to start before I can do anything?

I thought about uninstalling Oracle and starting from scratch, but I can't find any uninstall item on the programs menu. Looking in the Registry it looks like Oracle do not use it, so I though I would just delete the whole Oracle folder, but I get a message that some file is in use so It won't let me.

I have looked through the Oracle documentation but I have not found anything that explains the basics to someone totally new. I have also searched the Web using Google, but I have not found anything at my basic level yet.

I have a feeling Personal Edition 9i is overkill, all I want to do is to create a replica of my Access DB and link to it to debug.

I have downloaded and is planning to install the Migration Workbench, maybe that will help me create a new database?

I am aware I will have to provide some buffering queries at the very least, but that I will do in Access.

I hope someone can at least point me in the right direction, at his point any help would be very much appreciated.

Ragnar Received on Sat Jan 25 2003 - 02:00:12 CET

Original text of this message