Object tables Oracle 8.1.7

From: Johan Verlinden <johan.verlinden_at_iris.be>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:27:30 +0100

As this is totally new for me, I have some basic questions.

We want to make a PL/SQL program where the output is written to more than 10 related tables. Afterwards we need to generate XML output. I'm asking myself how to accomplish this object based? At the top level we have one table with some fields being nested tables or varrays or refs to other tables and so on. There are at least 4 hierarchical levels.

If I solve this purely relational I should insert one record in one parent table, several records in child tables, even more records in more lower levels and so on. If I work object oriented I should insert one record in the topmost level. Of course this is a very complex and lengthy statement. So my questions have to do with

  1.. complexity of DML statements (e.g. insert statement)
  2.. length of DML statements (e.g. insert statement)
  3.. length of transaction. If  I need one insert statement to insert all
data at all levels a very big rollback segment need to be created.

Perhaps the answer comes with the type of relation being implemented between the logical units (nested tables or varrays or refs). In fact I do not understand very well how to use REFs in table definitions. Can one insert data separately in nested tables or REF tables? Received on Wed Jan 22 2003 - 10:27:30 CET

Original text of this message