Accessing Oracle across networks

From: Martin Harris <mch766s_at_smsu.edu>
Date: 21 Jan 2003 16:13:19 -0800

I am having difficulty connecting remotely to my Oracle 8i personal edition database. The database resides on a machine running Windows 2000 professional. The machine is connected to a linksys router with 4 port switch (BEFSR41). The router is connected to my cable modem and provides dhcp services for the home network. Router hands out 192's and the router is setup to port forward all ports except the 8080 port for remote admin (set by placing port ranges to forward to the ip of the Windows 2000 machine). No firewall's, no other network services I know of.

   Laptop with Windows 2000 when connected to the router connects with SQL*Plus 8.0 fine. TNSnames file host = line set to the WAN ip address of the router to make sure port forwarding is working properly. Take the laptop to school to connect using the school's network, and get a ORA-12203 unable to connect to destination error. Use tnsping80.exe from command line of laptop to ping the 1521 port from the school's network and get replies everytime. The TNSname entry looks as such

dbase =

	(description =
	   (Address_list =
		(Address =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = 12.218.136.13)
(PORT = 1521)
) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = orcl) ) )

Any thoughts of what I am doing wrong? I am only a couple weeks exposed to Oracle, so I am no expert, and have looked through this group and others on www.deja.com for the last week and have come up with nothing. Most posts have said tnsnames.ora file is wrong, but it works when connected to the local network at home, just not when I am on a different network, so I was thinking that couldn't be it. Am I missing something obvious??? Received on Wed Jan 22 2003 - 01:13:19 CET

Original text of this message