ORA-01461 - Can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column / Data Junction

From: David J Mallinson <dmallinson_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2003 15:56:33 -0800

I am using Data Junction to migrate from WCS 4.1 to WCS 5.4, and I have hit a problem moving data from the WCS 4.1 PRODUCT table to the WCS 5.4 CATENTDESC table.

Specifically, using Data Junction to move the PRODUCT.PRLDESC1 data (VARCHAR2) into the CATENTDESC.LONGDESCRIPTION (LONG) causes Oracle to blow up with

<ORA-01461 - Can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column>

Oracle 8.1.7.3 is running on Sun Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8)

Any ideas? I have tried the exact same data move between the same tables but running Oracle 8.1.7.2 under windows, no problem.

Thanks in advance!
David J Mallinson. Received on Tue Jan 21 2003 - 00:56:33 CET

Original text of this message