Re: Oracle 8i

From: Ognjen Antonic <ognjen.antonic_at_ogo.homeip.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:34:52 +0100

8i works fine on my XP boxes, of course they are not Intel Pentium IV, but AMD Athlon. The problem is probably due to Pentium IV Oracle Java Virtual Machine bug, which is being used for install. There is a workaround for that problem. See below for more info:

fact: Oracle Universal Installer
fact: MS Windows 2000
fact: MS Windows NT
fact: MS Windows 98
fact: Intel Pentium IV
fact: Pentium 4 Processors
symptom: Oracle Universal Installer fails to start
symptom: Installation fails
symptom: Installation hangs
symptom: Installer hangs

symptom: Installer exits
symptom: No error messages appear
cause: (Bug:1507768)
Installer fails when running on new Pentium 4 Processors Any platform that uses the Intel Pentium 4 processor, with the Sun JRE and Symantec JIT will encounter this problem.

fix:

There are 3 possible workarounds:

  1. Obtain patch 1507768 from Oracle Support Services via Metalink. See Patch readme for patch installation details.

2.
a) Copy the content of the Installation to a temporary folder on the harddisk,
rename ALL copies of file 'symcjit.dll'
b) Go to folder \install and edit file 'oraparam.ini' (attention: write protection) and change parameter JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS to JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms16m -mx32m
c) Start the installation again

3. Use the Oracle Universal Installer that is shipped with Oracle 9.0.1 or higher.

Ognjen Antonič - Ogo

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> je napisal v sporočilo news:QEuS9.666894$QZ.98646_at_sccrnsc02 ...

> > > What the heck. Translate please; I don't speak text messaging. If
 your
> > > machine is a Pentium 4 then look on this news group or metal link for
 the
> > > answer.
> > > Jim
> > >
> > > --
> > > Replace part of the email address:
 kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
> > > with family. Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign. You can
 figure
> > > it out.
> > > "TaZ2002" <cdr.taz2k_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 21:34:52 CET

Original text of this message