NewBe Q With Ora 8.1.7

From: Jens Fudge <Jens.Fudge_at_mail.tdcadsl.dk>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 23:01:01 +0100

Hi All

I'm a newbe in installing and running a Orace db, here goes:

I have a Win98 SE machine, and have downloaded the Oracle 8.1.7 PE. I ran install, selecting everything default. The installation went smoothly.

By running the Net8 Configuration Assistent, for creating a TNS (on the same machine), I at first ran into the problem that there was no listener... By searching the documentation, I found out how to stop it if it were running, so I guessed that starting it would be lsnrctl start.... Heey, that seemd to work, but now I get another error:

Connecting...ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact The test did not succeed.

By viewing the listener.log I see loads of lines like this: TNS-12516: TNS:lytteproces kunne ikke finde tilgængelig handler med matchende protokolstak

I'm sorry that the description is in danish, but at least the number is ok...But roughly translated it might be something like: Listener could not find available handler with matching protocol stack.

Which I have absolutely NO idea what means.

Can anyone out there help a complete newbe out here????

/Jens Fudge Received on Sat Jan 04 2003 - 23:01:01 CET

Original text of this message