Re: How am supposed to know which init file I am using pfile or spfile?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2002 09:46:07 -0800

EriK Miller <bopew2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<20021227012927.37FD.BOPEW2000_at_yahoo.com>...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a strange question here,
> How am I going to find out which init file my instance is using?
> Since I always start my instance by issue "startup" without any
> parameter, I am really sure which init file I am actually using.
>
> It may appears stupid and unnecessary, but I need know that.Thanks!

First... Both SPFILE and PFILE are the same... assuming you are keeping them synchronized regularly.

If you create the SPFILE from PFILE then on next startup and any subsequent startups using ONLY STARTUP command, your instance will automatically use SPFILE which resides in ORACLE_HOME/database folder. If you do not want to create the SPFILE (For any reason) and explicitly want to use PFILE then always issue STARTUP PFILE=<Full path and name to PFILE>.

For more info consult your 9i documentation regarding SPFILE.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Dec 27 2002 - 18:46:07 CET

Original text of this message