Re: Physical File Layout / Tablespace control

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:22:07 -0800

AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:

> I will be running a 2Ghz Xeon on Win2k server.
>
> I am intending to store many binary files btw 200kb - 1mb each in a single table.
>
> I am looking at 2000 files per month here.
> This would amount to about 25gb for one year.
>
> What would be the appropriate tablepsace/size to set for this binary table?
> Or what if I just left it alone and let it grow into a single tablespace year by year?
> Would searches and record (binary) retrieval be slow?
>
> How would I make it automatically grow into a another datafile when say a set size limit has been
> reached for that table \space?
>
> Sorry, I'm not too experienced with tablespaces and the physical file layout.
>
> Thanks

A tablespace can automatically grow but it can not automatically add another datafile.

Your question reeks of lazyiness. The only way to handle something such as you have described is to create a tablespace large enough to handle the first year and then weekly or monthly monitor its progress.

My suggestion would be to NOT enable automatic growth but to manage the tablespace manually based on monitored experience.

And, in the future, please post to only a single usenet group. Thanks.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Dec 17 2002 - 03:22:07 CET

Original text of this message