Re: Why Oracle is st00pid:

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2002 16:02:09 +1100

sureucanspaamme_at_hotmail.com (Johnny Random) writes:

> I would love to bitch slap the idiot that wrote this:
> "It is poor programming practice to have a function return multiple
> values."
>
> Gee, by that same token it must be "poor programming practice" for a
> query to return multiple rows, or multiple records for that matter.
> Apparently a function should just return 1 or 0. Then you can use
> another function to string the 0's and 1's together, then another
> function to convert them to hex, then another to convert them to
> ASCII, then another to concatinate all the values, then another
> un-concatinate the values, and finally one to bitch slap the moron
> that is so f'ing stupid that he can't see the need for a function to
> return multiple values. And that ladies and genitalmens is why Oracle
> is st00pid...

Nice bit of flame bait - I'll bite!

  1. Name me a language where functions return more than one value? C - no, C++ - no, Pascal - no, Perl - no, Java - no, Lisp - no. I cannot think of any.
  2. In oracle, just like in all of the above mentioned languages, if you need to return multiple values, you just accumulate those values in some other single structure and return that e.g. a record type, a collection type etc.
  3. If you did have a language which can return multiple values, how do you assign them if you do not know how many values will be returned?