Server Advice Needed

From: J.L. Brown <brownj_at_rcbhsc.wvu.edu>
Date: 11 Dec 2002 13:58:02 -0800

Hello,
We are in the process of purchasing a new server: 2 - 1.5 gig Xeon processors
6 gigs of RAM
We are currently running an Oracle 8i database, but will upgrade to 9i. The database is a data warehouse. We update the data in the database 1x per month, process the data with Cognos applications (Transformer), and place Cognos PowerPlay cubes on the server for clients to connect to remotely. There is about a one week period of intense data processing. Will be using Windows 2000 Advanced Server. There are approximately 20 end users that will connect to the server at any given time.

We have a little extra $$ to spend and don't know if it would be better to add one more 1.5 g Xeon processor, or add 2 more gigs of ram. We are aware that there is a price difference between the processor and ram, but would like to know which would be most beneficial at the time.

Any advice is appreciated. I hope I have given enough information. Thanks
J.L. Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 22:58:02 CET

Original text of this message