Re: Problem with Oracle 9.2 Client and ODBC with Win2K

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Dec 2002 14:35:54 -0800

soazine_at_erols.com (Phil Powell) wrote in message news:<1cdca2a7.0212090625.373eb541_at_posting.google.com>...
> I installed Oracle 9i Client tools on my machine (Win2000 Server), and
> successfully installed the Oracle ODBC Driver, however, upon using
> "Oracle in OraHome92" option in my Administrative Tools System DSN I
> receive the following error upon attempt to connect to the database
> with my ASP scripts:
>
> "The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found.
> These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and part of Oracle
> Version 7.3.."
>
> I also receive the following error on my page:
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on
> SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

This sort of error generally indicates a permissions problem. The user IIS is running as probably needs to be granted access to the %ORACLE_HOME%\bin directory. Less commonly, there's a problem with your PATH environment variable where %ORACLE_HOME%\bin isn't present.

As an aside, is there a reason that you have to go throught the Microsoft OLE DB to ODBC translation layer? It would seem a lot cleaner to me to be using the Oracle OLE DB driver here.

Justin Cave Received on Mon Dec 09 2002 - 23:35:54 CET

Original text of this message