Re: Informix/Oracle comparison on Data Storage terminology

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 04:46:09 GMT

Neil Truby wrote:
> Does anyone with more than one month's experience actually use onmonitor?

Yes. I typically use it once - when I initialize an instance. Amongst other things, I can't be bothered to remember what the NETTYPE entry is supposed to look like (there isn't a prototype entry in onconfig.std), so I use ON-Monitor to ensure I get that bit right.

After that, I use it seldom, but on occasion I do - database owner or logging status can be useful on occasion, for example.

[And I've seen some suggestion that perhaps 'onstat' was intended instead of ON-Monitor--a question which makes much less sense to me; I don't see how anyone who has anything to do with IDS administration can avoid using onstat on occasion (and typically much more frequently than just occasionally if performance is ever an issue). It's also one of the faster ways to find out if the server is still up.]

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com
Guardian of DBD::Informix 1.04.PC1 -- http://dbi.perl.org/