Re: Windows 2k installation: ORA-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 04:21:21 -0800

adaniel_at_microburstpc.com (Andy Daniel) wrote in message news:<f5f00de2.0211231645.7ad70782_at_posting.google.com>...
> This is my first Oracle installation. I am trying to install Oracle8i
> on Windows 2000 Server. After getting around the "Pentium4 Bug" the
> installation appears to go normally. I setup a listener called "wo"
> using the Net8 Config Assistant. Then when I run the Database
> Configuration Assistant, it starts, gets past "Creating and starting
> Oracle instance" then stops at "Creating database files" with error
> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error. If I hit ignore it just sits
> forever and does nothing. Any help fixing this problem would be
> greatly appreciated. If you'd prefer to contact me via email, you can
> do so at adaniel_at_microburstgroup.com. Thanks.

Are you by any chance working by means of Microsoft Terminal Server? The bequeath protocol Oracle is using doesn't work with Microsoft Terminal Server, generating *this* specific error when using the database creation assistant. Oracle doesn't plan to fix this problem (In fact numerous other products like Timbukto pro, Dameware and PcAnywhere, don't have this issue) and also doesn't support installations by means of Microsoft Terminal Server. The workaround which you can try (if you don't want to switch to any of the products above) is :

-save the creation scripts
- fire up a dos box
- issue 'set local=<service_name>' (without the quotes and your
service name is probably wo
- run the creation scripts manually.

Other than that, if that isn't your problem, you'll going to need to debug the 12560 error, but I would rather try you this first.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 13:21:21 CET

Original text of this message