Re: Get list of databases

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:58:49 +1100

[Snip]
> The original posting did NOT specify which Oracle versions the person was
> using. I have clients still using Oracle 7.3.4 in production! My
> suggestion of ONAMES would support 7.3.4 through 9i database services, as
> the original poster might be using these database versions.

[big snip]

I missed what this is all about, but I don't think there's any need to feel in any way defensive about your recommendation to use Names. I still do, too. It's fully supported in 9i, and is a darned site easier to set up than OiD.

Names was scheduled to be pulled from 9i (as I understand it) but (as I also understand it) they ducked doing that because the market's just not ready to make the move to LDAP-compliant (or should that be LDAP-complicated?) equivalents yet. The fact that it's still there in 9i, bold as brass, should tell you (and everyone else) something: it still works, it's still a recommendable solution.

You did nothing wrong in recommending it, in other words.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 22:58:49 CET

Original text of this message