Re: avoiding third party programs access to my database

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 14:54:05 -0800

tolgatoonja_at_yahoo.com (tolga toonja) wrote in message news:<857fe98f.0211130119.33efe479_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am trying to prevent a determined hacker from doing it.

If the determined hacker has the username & password to connect to the database, you've got some problems. You won't be able to rely on any of the data passed from the client (i.e. the executable name), since the hacker could spoof that data to look like your Delphi app.

Would restricting the IP addresses that are allowed to connect to the database be sufficient?

You may want to look into Oracle Advanced Security's authentication functionality <http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/network.817/a85430/asopart3.htm#436413>.

Justin Cave